11.11.06

first image


Well, you can't exactly call this a photoblog if there isn't a photo, can you?

This was taken last year for a press photo call for "Pulp Magazine".

A sad story really. Ashley, the girl in the photo, was born with terminal disease. As a charity appeal, she was given an opportunity to be on stage with Russian ballerinas, to make her dream come true.

During the photo call, she did not smile at all, I guess she doesn't have much to smile about. Her saddened eyes tell me she knows exactly what she has, and how long she has to enjoy or suffer for the every minute of her remaining life.

The other photographer from Manchester Evening News, however, simply was there to earn his dime. The moment he stepped into the room, he started commanding everyone around him so he could go home with a perfect shot, including little Ashley.

Maybe it was the Russian ballerinas, maybe it was her own ballet dress, maybe it was her dream come true, Ashley did try to smile at camera once or twice. Almost immediately after the flash, her face turns sad. That was when I decided to press my shutter.

It is a photojournalist's duty to tell a story as truthfully as possible, and reflect the emotion of his/her subject, and I believe that is the very element which differentiates a great photographer to any mediocre working photojournalist, who call themselves "pro".

I am not trying to nudge my way into the professionals in any way, I am simply sharing the experience I had, consequently, my thoughts.

No comments: